How to perform a dumbbell bench press with an animated image showing the move. Click on the picture to see the full sized animation.
- Lay back on a flat bench.
- Grasp two dumbbells next to your chest with your palms facing in.
- Press the dumbbells up above your chest.
- As your arms reach full extension, twist the dumbbells so that your palms are facing forward.
- Do not lock your elbows.
- Pause, and then lower the dumbbells. Reverse the twisting motion so that your palms are facing inward when you reach the lowest point.
- The dumbbells should be level with your chest, with your elbows hanging below the bench.
Using dumbbells instead of a barbell allows your arms to work independantly of one another so that you do not take the majority of the weight on one arm. It will also allow you to descend further and to turn your arms. This will give you a slightly different workout than if you were doing a normal bench press with a barbell.