How to perform a seated leg extension with an animated image showing the move. Click on the picture to see the full sized animation.
- Adjust a leg extension machine so that your back is flat on the pad and your hips are positioned so that your knee is lined up with the axis of the machine.
- Adjust the ankle pad so that the pad is nestled comfortably between your foot and your shin.
- Extend your legs until your feet are directly in front of you.
- Pause before you lock your knees. Do not lock your knees.
- Lower your legs until you are sitting comfortably again.
This is a good exercise to do as a superset with prone leg curls, which is often a part of the same machine but on the opposite side.