How to perform pushups with an animated image showing the move. Click on the picture to see the full sized animation.
- Lie face down on the floor with your hands (palms down) about shoulder width apart. Your feet should be together with your toes tucked under your feet. Your toes should be the only part of your foot in contact with the floor.
- Look forward, not down. Your body should form a straight line from ankles to waist to shoulders. Your back should be in a natural arch.
- Push your body up by straightening your arms.
- Exhale as you lift your body up. Keep your body straight and do not move your hands or feet along the floor. Do not lock your elbows.
- Pause, then slowly lower your body back towards the floor. Inhale as you do so.
- Keep your body straight. The first thing to touch the ground should be your chin.
Pushups are fairly straightforward. Depending upon how strong you are, you can go down low enough to touch your chest to the floor, or just descend until your chest is about 4 inches from the floor. You can experiment with moving your hands closer together or farther apart.